Is Facebook Fast Becoming The New Yellow Pages For Dentists?
Every day we’re getting more and more invitations to join Facebook pages. People are jumping on board like the salmon’s rush … Will Facebook become the replacement for the yellow pages—or will it be more like email?
If it begins to seem more like email, you’ll want to remember how easy it was to get people to share their email with you. Now, patients (like all of us), are more leery about giving out their email. People wonder if they’ll begin receiving emails from you every day or every week. Our email boxes have become inundated with virtual junk mail. Will patients wonder if they’ll get too much “junk mail” via your Facebook page as well? The answer is likely “yes.”
At the end of the day, it’s not whether Facebook will be more like yellow pages or email. What will matter is what people find when they land on your page. It will be less about the “dental information” you post, and more about how your practice personality translates online. Most importantly, it’s you, your team, and your relationships with patients that will determine the success or failure of your social marketing efforts.
How can you begin planning today to make sure people will fan your page (and if they fan you that they won’t hide you?).
- First and foremost, make your page a reflection of your practice personality.
- Let your relationship skills spill over into your Facebook page.
- Be cognizant of the amount you post and be highly cognizant of what you say in your posts.
- Ensure your page is a long-term success by focusing on patients in a social way, not just a “here’s-some-dental-news” way.
- Remember relationships first and the benefits will follow!